Thursday, August 30, 2007

Daily Monsterism Double Shot #2

For reasons of cruddy internetness, I was unable to post a monsterism last night. To make up for it, here's a double shot!


Monster: The Spinosaur
Movie: Jurassic Park III

Pat and I saw Jurassic Park III the day it came out. The cinema was nowhere near as crowded as it was for the first too, but this one is probably my favourite out of the lot. Why? Simply because it's pretty much a no-brainer, choc-o-block full of awesome dinosaurage. So many memorable sequences without the science talk in the middle to slow things down (not that I mind any of that - the first two Jurassic Parks are still two of my favourite movies), but this moment captured above was one of my favourites. There's this terrifying pause were this monstrous creature is just standing there sizing them up. The CGI on this thing was great and it kicked the T-Rex's arse pretty solidly, which makes him pretty hardcore.

Monster: Freddy Krueger
Movie: Freddy Vs. Jason

I didn't really like this movie. It was a lot of promise that just turned into some fanboy wankery in a Godzilla VS (insert monster here) way. This movie could have been the slasher thriller horror movie to end all, but instead it was something like watching a wrestling match with a few bits of each character's histories thrown in to please the crowds. There were two moments however that really stood out in my mind, visually at least. The moment above was the one that I like most. This is how Freddy should look all the time. He looks fuckin' evil, like there's no way you'd want to mess with him. In his original form (which is, admittedly, twenty something years old) he's not entirely threatening visually. This I really like though. The other will probably appear in as a later monsterism...

2 comments:

malpractice said...

nice to see the Spinosaurus get a mention, and i agree that Jurassic Park 3 is underrated. it's not my favorite of the trilogy (that honor still goes to the first movie) but unlike the horrid second movie TLW, JP3 knows what it is right from the beginning and never acts like it's anything more than that. it's just a whole lot of fun and the scene at the end in the water is still so awesome.

Tristan Jones said...

I despised TLW for a long time there, simply because it was NOTHING like the book, outside of a couple of moments. I have to admit that I rather enjoy it on a "look at the awesome dinosaurs!" level these days though. It was a coin toss between using a grab from the water scene or this one, but for me, this one wins out, simply because that pause where they're looking at each other really is a genuinely terrifying moment in my mind!